With the kids still holidaying with Daddy in Japan and won't be back until Monday, Yaya and I decided to continue with our "Interior Renewal Project".
I know, it is far easier to send chairs to be re-upholstered by professionals and buying store-assembled furniture, but we have always enjoyed doing these things ourselves although we are not crazy enough to actually make the furniture from scratch.
That's the reason why we bought most of our furniture at Ikea because assembling them ourselves is fun. It is like putting together a 3D puzzle - a Lego game for grown-ups.
All our curtain rails and wall shelves were put up by Yaya, while our sofa, tables and chairs were also self-assembled by yours truly.
Yaya even re-tiled our kitchen and painted the dining room walls all by herself.
Nothing beats the satisfaction of seeing our handiwork being used around the house.
This morning it was re-upholstering the dining chairs.
We bought these chairs from Ikea's "AS IS" section when they were clearing out their display items last year (or was it 2013 - it was a long time ago) so they were already assembled, but the off-white seating covers looked really dingy after a while, what with 2+1 kids and their grubby hands all over them.
I had about 2 meters of damask fabric (something I found in the remnant bin at Jakel some 3 years ago in JB) that Yaya deemed suitable to replace the seating covers that came with the chairs.
I always buy these fabric remnants when I find them - just in case I needed them for some such projects. My present bedroom curtains were made up from fabric remnants.
I did all the dismantling and re-assembling of the said chairs while Yaya prepared the new covers on her sewing machines.
While I was at it, I also assembled a couple of stools and a side table that we got from Ikea last Monday.
Then we re-organised the store room, re-arranged the kids' toys and preparing their schoolbooks in preparation for the new school year.
All in all, it has been a rather productive day.